October 23, 2017

HSB Meeting Minutes May 11, 2016


Hartford Board of School Directors
School Board Meeting Agenda
May 11, 2016 @ 7:00 pm
**** Hartford Town Hall ****

Board Members present: Lori Dickerson, Kevin Christie, Peter Merrill, Paula Nulty

Administration present: Tom DeBalsi, Noel Bryant

 

1.  Call to Order: Lori Dickerson calls the meeting to order at 7:02 pm.


2.  Consent Agenda

  • Minutes - Regular Meeting 4-27-2016: Edits were made

  • Accept Resignations and Nominations:

    • Tom DeBalsi announces the nominations of Jeff Moreno as the HHS assistant principal and Roy Hathorn as Coordinator of Student Supports at HHS. Kevin Christie shares that both were students at Hartford and are well-esteemed. Nelson Fogg explains that the district is fortunate to have such qualified individuals for the positions and is excited with the team that has been put together.

    • Tom DeBalsi names the search committee for the HHS administrative positions and thanks them for their work.

  • Peter Merrill moves to approve the consent agenda with minutes amended and the nomination of Jeff Moreno and Roy Hathorn. Paula Nulty seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion (4 yes, 0 no).


3.   Changes, Additions and Approval of Agenda: Peter Merrill moves to accept the agenda as presented. Paula Nulty seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion (4 yes, 0 no).


4.   Public Comments relative to items not on the Agenda:

  • Lori Dickerson was contacted by the president of Hartford Historical Society to share some of the events and programs occurring. Many elementary school students take advantage of programs there and there is an upcoming presentation on local architect Louis Sheldon Newton on May 4th.


5.   Items Requiring Board Discussion and Possible Action**

  • Presentation by Hartford High School Honors Program

    • Doug Anton, Social Studies teacher at HHS and the coordinator of the Honors Program, thanks the board for supporting the Honors Program.

    • George Spearing, a senior shares his capstone project about the engagement level of students in their education. His own education became more independent through the Eye Program in 11th grade since it offered exploration, goal setting, and project-based learning. Through the Eye, he was encouraged to fail and persevere through; learning occurred because he was engaged in the process. In 12th grade, he reflected that the learning was natural and stress-free and was curious how this learning that often happens  in clubs/extracurriculars could be brought into a standard classroom. Mr. Spearing shared a rocketry project to support the concept that more experimentation and failure is needed in education since failure and success have a symbiotic relationship. He sees PBL and standards based grading as a good step, but overall sees a need for a cultural shift that accepts, versus ostracizing, failure.

    • Lori Dickerson thanks Mr. Spearing for his presentation.

  • Policy Governance Review and Board Training

    • Lori Dickerson rates the board on GP 3 Board Job Outcomes. The main topics that arise are that the board should maintain a “big picture” perspective, the board will re-examine the policy to change the language, and that the board could have done a better job organizing the district to influence legislation around Act 46.  

    • Moving onto GP4 Agenda Planning, the board agrees that the cycle will conclude on the last day of June instead of August to correspond with the school year and eliminate some transitions. The board will also re-examine the language around the policy to increase clarity. In regards to 2.A, Tom DeBalsi feels that the board should reach out more to already organized groups in the community. For section 5, Lori Dickerson shares that all five members take part in the evaluation of the superintendent; when the evaluation occurs in December, any new member has only a few months of experience to base their input on. The month should be changed to February to allow a potential new member to gain experience. Also, Peter Merrill addresses the fact that the board has not been asking for monthly reports.

    • Peter Merrill moves that board brings drafts of the GP3 and GP4 policies to the June retreat for discussion and to review language with the board. The chair and clerk are tasked with providing the new draft language. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion (4 yes, 0 no).

  • Action Plan Presentations

    • Tom DeBalsi shares that at the May 25th meeting, HMMS and the three elementaries will present their action plans by reviewing this year’s plan, sharing the progress made as well as projections. The Tech Center and HHS will share their action plans on June 8th.

  • End of the School Year Events and Important Dates

    • Tom DeBalsi shares important upcoming events with the board:

      • May 11 - School Board Meeting at the Town Hall

      • May 14 - HHS Prom

      • May 19 - HACTC Technical Honor Society Induction

      • May 25 - HACTC Senior Awards Night at the Lebanon Opera House, School Board Meeting at the Town Hall

      • May 30 - Memorial Day (no school)

      • June 1 - HMMS Spring Concert

      • June 5 - Senior Awards at the HHS Library

      • June 7 - HMMS Honors Night

      • June 8 - Retirement Reception at the HHS Cafeteria, School Board Meeting at the Town Hall

      • June 9 - Last Student Day, HMMS graduation

      • June 10 - HHS Graduation

      • June 22 - School Board Retreat at the Superintendent's Office

  • Subcommittee/Liaison Reports

    • Policy

      • Peter Merrill reports that the committee met yesterday. The policy around  athletic event behavior will most likely be brought to the next meeting.

    • Consolidation

      • Kevin Christie shares that he will meet with Peter Merrill to review direct discussions with some of the neighboring communities. They will set up times to meet with those districts who have asked. Many districts have moved forward and developed solutions already.

    • HCC

      • The Block party date has been changed to June 2nd.  

      • Take a Bite Out of Hunger still needs volunteers for the first 3 weeks.

    • Select Board

      • Rebecca White speaks to the charter review issue. The local option tax, where it is allocated, and the change to Australian ballot were all passed, but due to lack of proper documentation in the voting booths, legislature is not passing the charter this session. The Charter Committee is being reopened and is following the requirement for the members of the committee per the charter.

      • Paula Nulty is curious whether any items to vote on will be added to the fall ballot. Rebecca White responds that further additions are unlikely, but possible. She also hopes that the citizens who served on the Charter Committee originally will join again.

      • Peter Merrill asks when the new town manager is expected. Rebecca White shares that Leo Pullar is coming on July 20th with Patrick McQueen serving in the interim.

    • HACTC – RAB

      • Paula Nulty reports that students presented their portfolios; all of the students were well-spoken. She mentions that the idea to further the positive reputation of the Tech Center came up and that having students present at the morning meeting could be a way to accomplish this.

    • Partnership

      • Tom DeBalsi shares that the superintendents and business managers met to talk about making purchases together, especially around technology, to obtain better prices. The superintendents and special education personnel from Mascoma, Windsor, Lebanon, Hanover, and Hartford will work together for a regional summer program. Districts have agreed to share the cost of professional development activities, and Noel Bryant is attending an event at Lebanon with their administration. Tom DeBalsi reports that there is further talk around transportation to reduce redundancy, and the districts continue to talk about emergency planning with nearby schools.

 

6.  Incidental Information

  • Discussion of Future Items for Board Consideration

    • Kevin Christie would like a further discussion around the appropriateness of a teacher representative on the board.  

    • The board decides to allocate each school 15 minutes to share their action plan.

    • Tom DeBalsi shares that the next presentation is a HHS science teacher regarding the Puerto Rico exchange program.

    • Peter Merrill would like a conversation around collaboratives and the future of the Lab School.


8:48 pm Peter Merrill moves that the board have an executive session to discuss a personnel matter. Paula Nulty seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion (4 yes, 0 no).


8:49 pm Peter Merrills moves that the board enters executive session to discuss a personnel matter. Paula Nulty seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion (4 yes, 0 no).


7. Executive Session will be needed to discuss a confidential personnel matter


8.  Adjournment


9:10 pm The board left executive session with no action taken.


9:12 pm Peter Merrill moved to adjourn. Kevin Christie seconded. A unanimous verbal vote passed the motion (4 yes, 0 no).


Draft Respectfully Submitted 5/16/16

Hannah Prescott