December 11, 2018

HSB Minutes 9-12-2018


Hartford Board of School Directors

School Board Meeting Minutes

September 12, 2018 @ 7:00 pm

Hartford Town Hall

7:00               1.  Call to Order- Kevin Christie 7:00 PM

Present:

Nancy Russell

Russell North

Michelle Boleski

Kevin Christie

Peter Merrill

Tom DeBalsi

Noel Bryant

 

7:02    2.  Public Comments- NONE

 

7:12      3.  Changes, Additions and Approval of Agenda- Peter Merrill moves to accept the Agenda as presented. Russell North seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion.

 

7:15     4.  Consent Agenda

            (Removing items from the consent agenda requires a vote by the full board)             

Minutes- Regular Meeting 6-27-2018-Russell North Clarifies the Board members Michelle and Nancy did not give the update on GP3 board outcomes. Mr. DeBalsi reported out for them.              

Retreat 8-22-2018 (Peter Merrill was not in attendance at retreat)

Peter Merrill  moves to accept the Consent Agenda with changes made. Nancy Russell seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion.

Nominations/Resignations/Leave of Absence Requests for Professional Staff-None

 7:20       5.   Items Requiring Board Discussion and Possible Action*

                                                     

Policy EL 9.4 Communication and Support to the Board – Incidental Information

Mr. DeBalsi- reports out on start of the school year. The District has approximately 1800 pre-k-12 students.

❖     New parking lot, change in traffic pattern, still working on bio retention ponds

❖     Transportation issues: students moving,

❖     New press box at football field, lots of thankful donations

❖     New staff in place went well, still looking for HHS school nurse

❖     Opening breakfast on 22nd honored 54 employees for longevity

❖     $140,000 grant for safety security

❖     New food service manager

❖     Noel Bryant - Presents new posters for the District on Proficiency Based Learning Outcomes (New District Logo)

Learning outcomes, elementary schools will be rolling out new report cards

Transferable Skills posters will be  handed out to schools to place in public places for parents to see.

A new handout will be going out with elementary school level report cards

Infographic is being developed, (Noel will share with Board)

 

 

Policy EL 7 Asset Protection

-        Wilder School Study Committee Summary Report and Recommendation- Committee members; Tom DeBalsi, Peter Merrill,  Dave Harris, Mr.  Doug Heavisides, Rhett Derrick, Kristin Haney grandparent, Rosien Viens Wilder Director, Jessica Pouludin HARP Director, Matt Wheaten, DEW volunteer/consultant

Each member of the committee spoke to viable options for the population of RAP (Wilder) /HARP

Peter Merrill reports the committee decided  option #1 to renovate and base HARP and RAP in Wilder School is the best option.

Mr. DeBalsi reports on the  cost to taxpayers

Kevin Christie moves the question

Nancy Russell moves to have Superintendent issue an RFP for design work to form hard numbers, then go to bond. Russell North  seconds the motion. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion.

Public comment on motion: committee will work with Superintendent on recommendation for design work

Cathy Miliski Wilder School neighbor doesn't want school to close. She loves the students and staff .

Kristin Haney, “we can do better” for our kids

Matt Wheaton DEW clarifies his role, he was not on the committee and volunteers his time

Disc: population of regular ed students have an impact, tuition vs block grants in the future, rfp procedure,

 

-          Food Service Contract Approval- up for renewal, issued rfp last spring

Jim Vezina- Reports the District received one bid. This was from cafe services. Board now has to approve one year contract with cafe services, renewable for up to 5 yrs on a 1 year basis

Peter Merrill moves to approve the contract. Russell North seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion.

Public question: Is it the Federal Government that will only allow the liquid offered, milk? Discussion of offerings and Federal guidelines

 

-        Adjacent Property Purchase and Sale Agreement-Mr. DeBalsi reports out on the property adjacent to the Superintendent’s office.

The owner of 71 Highland Ave is asking $300,000 with HSD taking ownership immediately with owner financing $300,000 for 3 years at 4%.

Peter Merrill  moves to authorize superintendent to sign the purchase sales agreement at 71 Highland Avenue. Michelle Boleski seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion.

 

GP 7 Board Committee Principles

  Review and Accept Hartford Committee on Racial Inequality Recommendations-

Peter Merrill moves to approve recommendations by committee.  Nancy Russell seconds. A unanimous verbal vote passes the motion.

A committee will be ongoing as there is more work to be done.

 

Policy GP 9.1 Governance Investment

 

Board Work Plan and 2018-19 Calendar-Mr. DeBalsi  presented the schedule.

The Board worked on changes to the schedule. Mr. DeBalsi will re-send the updated schedule.

 

Policy GP 3 Board Job Outcomes

- Board Member Committee Reports

▪        Hartford Community Coalition (Russell)-Next Board meeting is next week, WRS kitchen was used this summer (with thanks!), meals sent to new places, driver given additional hours, budget under $17,000, asking for grants, VFW kitchen will be used for winter deliveries,

▪        Regional Advisory Board (Boleski)-RAB met 9/11, Scott F and Aron T reported on their roles @ HACTC, HACTC is challenged with lots of students changing programs/schedules,

▪        Manifest Approval (Christie)-Busy time of year, lots of supplies ordered, health care changes in state disbursement, payroll every 2 weeks,

▪        Racial Inequality Committee (Boleski, Russell)-What direction to go in? Community engagement, there may be an opening on the committee

▪        Select Board Liaison (North)-Russell  did not attend but did view on the meeting on tv. Racial Inequality Committee, there should have been more discussion before voting, deal better w/both board issues, should there be a joint mtg?

▪        Negotiations (Identify Board representatives)- Kevin Christie and Russell North will represent the Board.  Benefits are off the table as the State will be doing the negotiation.  Mostly on wages and working issues.  Peter is willing to play a role towards the end of the negotiations if needed.

▪        Social Media - Russell North will be reporting out.  Three things posted:  opening day.  Tom and Noel will work with him to put out some information about the Wilder study (Tom) and Proficiency and Personalization (Noel).

  •         Peter reported that the Wilder Committee made its final recommendation.
  • Sister city:  sending Jamison, Joan, Bent, Laura,  Allison and French teacher in Hanover are going to France next year.  Our Sister City is going to name one of their subway (?) cars after Hartford.
 

 

 

 

 

 

6.   Meeting Review/Evaluation and Agenda Planning

- Next Meeting Agenda

  Peter would like reports on the status of bussing and an update on the Health care issues with the HRAs.

Kevin Christie would like a monitoring report to be generated and an update made to the employee bullying/harassment policy.

- Meeting Evaluation  - Michelle did the meeting evaluation.  She rated the meeting as satisfactory. 

 

7. Executive Session - Board went into Executive Session at 10:07.

 

Executive Session (1 VSA 313) (If Needed) (Mot. Req.): a. Labor Relations Agreements with Employees: In accordance with Vermont’s Open Meeting Law requirements, I move that the Board find that premature general public knowledge of the discussion of Labor Relations Agreements would clearly place the School Board at a substantial disadvantage, because the School Board risks disclosing its negotiation strategy if it discusses Labor Relations Agreements in public. I further move that the Board enter into Executive Session to discuss Labor Relations Agreements with Employees, under the provisions of Title 1, Section 313(a) (1) of the Vermont Statutes.

 The board came out of executive session at 10:30. No action was taken.

8.  Adjournment

 Peter motioned to adjourn, seconded by Russ North.

The meeting adjourned at 10:31.

*Public comment to add information not considered will be had prior to any vote of the Board.

 

Next Regular School Board Meeting is Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Hartford Town Hall